Friday, January 23, 2009

January 23th: Genesis 38, Psalm 41 and Matthew 25

I don't even know where to begin with this passage. What do you say about Judah and Tamar? Again, what do you tell your kid when he asks, "What is Genesis 38:9 about." I know that I'm saying, "ask your mom," but I'm a deflector.

By the way Judah, let this be a valuable lesson for you: NEVER GIVE A PROSTITUTE YOUR SIGNET. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. And I love his response here. He basically says, "Schucks, my bad, I should have let you have my third son already anyway."

What?!?

Doing this blog has been interesting... outside of messed up family tree that is Genesis. In previous attempts to read through the Bible, I don't think I followed a plan like this. I don't think I read this kind of cross section. I'm learning more than I thought I would. I learning more about God's character contrasted between the judgment of the flood and the love Jesus displays to the poor.

I am going back to school ('bout time, I know). It's been a while since I wrote an entrance essay. Here is what I was asked followed by my response. I don't think I would have come up with this answer had I not started this project. Kinda makes me glad I did...

1. Describe your understanding of the plan of salvation.

It’s nice that Paul summarized the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15. The plan is simple: believe that Christ died for your sins and that he rose from the dead. It’s simple enough for a child to understand. Nothing needs to be added, there is nothing that we could do anyway. But I think that there are more layers that can be understood. There is more beauty in the full understanding.

We can see the tragedy of the broken relationship in the garden. Man on the outside. Separated. Fallen. In need of blood to be shed. And all the while, this loving God pursues fallen man from Abraham to Moses to David through Jesus to now. No matter the horrors, no matter the rejection, He pursues us. Jesus offers his blood. It’s beautiful and inspiring and it takes a lifetime to understand and yet, you’re constantly in awe the whole time. It’s salvation; a change in eternity. But it’s also a relationship; a change in quality of life.

Do you need to understand that to be saved? No. But it helps.


(I hope I get in.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm making a list of all the awkward questions that our "someday" kids are going to ask me. Hmmm... maybe i'll deflect them to Char... "hey kids wanna go ride horses?... and while you're there... ask Char this..." :)

    ReplyDelete