Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20th: Genesis 34-35, Psalm 37 and Matthew 22

OK. Genesis 34. Right. You can't make this stuff up. That's some serious William Wallace stuff right there. Normally, I'm in the habit of coming up with a hypothetical script that I imagine fills in the missing parts. Not so sure that I can think of anything wilder than what's in there. The only thing I imagine is that the sons of Jacob sang "He had it coming" from the musical Chicago. Seriously though, how am I going to let my kid read the Bible?

"That's a good question, mini-version-of-me, they uhh, um...they cut off part of their uhh... yeah talk to your mom."

Matthew 22. I'm reading through the parable catching all the parallels. God invites the Israelites to "the wedding." Some don't care, others beat the prophets, some straight up kill the messengers. Then God goes to the Gentiles. They come in mass. But one guy shows up in hammer pants and day glow. The original black bar. Why yes, that was a reference to a magazine that I would never read. Anyway, it took me a bit on this part of the parable.

Can you help me here? Is Jesus referring to the fact that our "clothes" need to be washed clean? Is that what he means by this:

"But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment. 12And he said to him, 'Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?' And he was speechless."

I'm thinking maybe that the garments here refer to our souls... but how did the man get into heaven? I guess I'm assuming that heaven is the wedding. Or is it simpler than that? Are these verses referring to the fact that he is unprepared for the wedding? That he showed up, but he didn't take the necessary steps? I'm not sure. I could use some help.

1 comment:

  1. on part two i have no comment because i have no idea. on part one, i made up a song with a friend in high school about it. it was great. "Genesis chapter 34-skin no more skin for Shechem....really, it's high art.

    ReplyDelete