Monday, January 19, 2009

January 19th: Genesis 32-33, Psalm 36 and Matthew 21

I only have two observations tonight

A: I wonder what God did to get Jacob to wrestle with him. Take a look in Genesis 32. There's no mention of what started Royal Rumble 1. It just says that Jacob's family went across the stream and that he wrestled with a man he didn't know. I wonder if God insulted his mother or do you think God dropped a 'bow off the tall rock. Either way, I would have loved to have seen it.

B: The parable of the two sons. It's funny how you read over things that you've read a million times. Maybe it's that you don't actually read it or maybe it's that you're not in a place that it matters to you. I had a professor that used to say, "Sin Boldly." The idea was that hidden sins would never be found, so like a cancer, they would grow and poison you till it was too late to cut them out. On the other hand, a bold sin, an open sin could be dealt with. So the logic was if you were going to do something and you weren't going to be dissuaded, do it loudly. I was at a Bible college, so this was pure gold. I followed the advice... except for the boldly part. I still broke the rules sneakily. Ooops.

Since I left school, I've questioned the principle. Never sure if it was wise. But here, seems to be some biblical support. The first son gives pops the middle finger and does his own thing. Later he realizes that he was a "tool" and goes and does what he's suppose to. Meanwhile Captain-Homeschool butters up father dearest only to break his dad's heart when he isn't looking. And what does Jesus say to the religious right?

"I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did."

Sounds pretty similar to "Sin Boldly."

It's unfortunate that all the churches destroyed by sexual sins didn't have pastors and elders that followed this principle.

3 comments:

  1. That's really similar to what I used to teach my Sunday School class, though in a different kind of way. I used to tell them "If you have to hide what you're doing, you probably shouldn't be doing it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a prof who said that too. Although, he tacked on "repent later" to his "sin boldly."

    -Shannee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the people that are sinning boldly just aren't ready to hear the repent part. Seems like they might just need someone to tell them to stop hiding it. (not sure if the passage backs me up on that)

    ReplyDelete