Saturday, January 31, 2009

January 31st: Exodus 3-4, Psalm 56-57 and Romans 9

Moses is a lot like me.

Ok, not all that "let my people go" and bearded Charlton Heston-ness, more like his random reactions. Take a look at Exodus 3. The bush is on fire and he says: "I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not burn up." Awesome. Here , let me imagine it. Moses: "Hey, look at that. A diminutive tree that's a light and yet magically not turning to ash. Wow, I've never seen anything like thaaaaaaa OH CRAP! I'm taking off the Pumas. There off. There off. Don't smite me." (And yes, in my head Moses has an English accent)

Then a few minutes later and Moses' staff turns into a snake and he runs away. He's not scared by asbestos tree but God turns his staff into a snake and he runs like a girl. Seriously? C'mon Mo. Me on the other hand? No fear of heights, the dark or snakes. Oh no, I just worried that the Russians would attack me. Seriously. As a kid, I would hide under the blankets and pray that Red Dawn would not happen in my backyard. Both reactions to unfounded fear are a tad illogical.

Here is what I love about this story. God made a tree burn but not burn. He gives Moses a message to deliver. And it's kinda important and all. Then God turns a wooden staff into a freaking snake and then at that point Moses freaks out. Does he seriously think that God is going to do two crazy cool miracles and then use the snake to kill him? That wouldn't make much sense.

But then again... circumcision.

4 comments:

  1. i have an irrational fear of Nazis. I had a dream just last night that they came back and started dropping bombs on America and I had to hide in the Bill Clinton Library in Little Rock, AR... so I can relate to your childhood fear of the Soviets :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, there is a library named after Bill Clinton?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed there is, although, I don't think it's in Little Rock.

    Here's the link: http://www.clintonlibrary.gov/
    Turns out their looking at the "Art of the Chopper" right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. and by "their" I meant "they're"
    grammer...

    ReplyDelete