Tuesday, January 27, 2009

January 27th: Genesis 44-45, Psalm 49 and Romans 1-2

Life lesson # 37:

If someone ever accuses you of stealing a silver chalice, never, I repeat never throw in a "who ever stole it will die." It's always a bad idea. You look silly.

I must not be that smart. It's official. There is a high school calculus teacher sitting in a bar saying, "Yes. See, I told you. I always said that Reisinger kid was special needs. Finally admitted it though."

Romans was a letter, read out loud to a church (imagine being eight that day when this scroll rolls in). No sitting and studying it, no pouring over verb selection. You get one shot, one listen. And you probably understood more than me. Same with the Psalms. I just don't get them. Give me some OT historical books. No problem. But I don't get Paul's style.

I had a talk with a group of people the other day, we discussed the Bible as an answer book. I mean, part of my job is telling people to read this thing. That it's a road map to life. But when the dude next to you at Outback starts choking on his Bloomin' Onion, don't flip open Song of Solomon, cause you will not find what you're looking for. Trust me.

So how do you read it better? How do you grow a relationship with God from Bible reading? Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment