Friday, January 30, 2009

January 29th: Genesis 48-50, Psalm 51-52 and Romans 5-6

There is something to this fatherly blessing thing. Not sure why it isn't used anymore. You see it with all of the patriarchs: Abraham to Isaac, Isaac to Jacob and then Jacob to each of his twelve sons (plus Ephraim and Manasseh). Why did it fall out of favor? People stopped wanting to see their kids do well? Where did this practice go? I would have been much more impressed though if when Jacob got to Reuben, he said: “My son, you will be the namesake of a delicious sandwich that is the perfect combination of otherwise gross elements.” Now that would have been a sweet prophecy.

I wonder though, how the sons took it. I wonder if each of them went home and pondered what had been said. I wonder if any of them sloughed it off as crazy-old-man-talk or if Zebulun went home to his wife with plans to build a boat and buy property with an ocean view.

I wonder mostly, because I’ve wondered what I would do if I got the inside scoop on the future. I wonder how I would take it… I wonder if I would outright question the prophet or if I would trust God. Like I said, I'm pretty pessimistic so I think I would be filled with doubt and critisim.

Or, I’d probably write a book and go on Oprah. And that’s exactly why the prophecies are rolling my direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment