Saturday, April 18, 2009

April 18th: Deuteronomy 1, Proverbs 28 and John 11

Having a hard time coming up with something profound tonight.  

I guess one thing that is intruing is that Jesus let's Lararus die.  Brother was tight with Jesus.  He was down-wit-the Son.  He was _____ with _______ (Try it, it's fun).

But Jesus let him die.  Which shows me: bad stuff happens to people who are close with God. There sometimes is a purpose to pain. But sometimes (the NEXT time Lazarus died), there might not be as big of a splash. There might not be something so spectaculur. What then?  Your faith needs to be just as big.

2 comments:

  1. Great insight Jon. I get so pissed off at so-called Christian TV personalities who claim that God wants them all healed, and rich. This proves that God can use us when we are sick, dead, poor, whatever to serve his purposes, not ours. I think we should still pray for the sick and needy but not preach that God wants them to be all peachy, all the time. Yes/No?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think you are on the right track. I think there are people out there that are sick, injured, or born handicap but don't have the gift of teaching/preaching and that's ok too. Sometimes, I think people (read: Christians) assume that because something bad happens, they are Job. That it's happening so they can birth a ministry. Sure that's true for some (look at Joni Eareckson Tada)... but that's not everyone. I wonder if we are doing a disservice to God to think that every trial/problem/issue should be broadcast to the world.

    ReplyDelete