Monday, April 13, 2009

April 13th: Numbers 32, Proverbs 23, and John 5

I don' think I've ever read the Pentateuch as closely as I am right now. Normally it's blah blah bull's blood, blah blah beget so and so blah blah another place with a hyphen blah blah don't do this blah blah dude married his cousin (again). But one thing is for sure, as I read through it this time, I don't see a bunch of direct references to Jesus. Maybe a couple in Genesis 3 and 12 but not a ton like in Isaiah. But over in the NT, Jesus drops this line at the end of John 5:

"For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"

Is Jesus indirectly claiming to be the God of Sinai that Moses writes so often about? I know that's an argument some people raise, that Jesus himself never claimed to be God. But knowing that those Pharisees liked them the some Moses-law, they probably took as Jesus saying he could break the Sabbath... cause he made it.

PS. Read Proverbs 23 verses 29-35. That might be the funniest stuff in the Bible. "They beat me and I did not feel it. ... I must have another drink." Liquid courage at it's finest with a little hangover cure tossed in.

2 comments:

  1. yeah, i really like those verses in proverbs. i also like the verse in proverbs 30:33 in niv "For as churning the milk produces butter,
    and as twisting the nose produces blood, so stirring up anger produces strife." try that next time someone threatens you. dude, watch out, i will totally twist your nose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. more than indirectly!In Jn. 1:1-5 "The Word was God" no ? who He is claiming to be. Also in Jn. 8:24 "I Am He" is aquote from Ex.3:14 " I Am That I AM" it's what made the religious so mad!It still makes people mad to day because if they acknowledge Him as God then they are forced to do something with Him. One day,however every knee will bow whether they like it or not. wish they would do it now.U.D.

    ReplyDelete