Sunday, April 12, 2009

April 10th: Numbers 31, Proverbs 22, and John 4

Massive thing that I didn't realize until today: The Israelites kill Baalam. What?!? Did I miss that part of the flannel board? Let's recap the story arc. The king hires Baalam to curse Israel. He says, "No-can-do watching old DVDs of the Power Rangers that night with Donkey." The king tries again and Baalam says, "I got yoga on Thursday but I'll see what God says, hang tight for a bit." God tells him to go. He goes. Donkey monologues a bit about the current danger level. Angel says, What up B?" And then Balaam does his thing.

And that's where the flannel-board-using-Sunday-school-teacher usually ends...but OH NO the stroy goes on. Balaam sans Donkey shows up in Nunbers 31. Where he dies at the hands of the people he blessed.

This is not cool. Dude does what God tells him to, he blesses and curses only as he's directed. He's a prophet of God and yet he's gunned, er, sworded down by the same people he blessed. Why didn't God intervene? Why does He let him die? Is Balaam some kind of disposible prophet? One use and he's doen? Balaam obviously believes in God to the point that he stands up to the current king of the land. I just don't get this. What is the lesson for us in here?

I just decided that I'm not telling this story in Sunday school anymore. My life has been incomplete.

No comments:

Post a Comment