Sunday, February 15, 2009

February 14th: Exodus 24-25, Psalm 78, and Mark 10

I used to live in Jackson, Wyoming. If you're unfamiliar with that area, Jackson has arguably the prettiest mountains in the US. I saw "arguably" like Bill Clinton says, "I didn't have sexual relations with that women." We can argue, even use late nineties pop-culture references but in the end, the facts are facts. The Tetons are awesome.

But even with these majestic mountains over my shoulder, a mundane task was still mundane. I lived there long enough to forget their majesty. Some days, I even forgot to look up from my work.

I wonder if that's what happened to the Israelites. I wonder if they lived too long with the miracles, saw too much of the pillar of fire, lived too long in the majesty of God. He become normal...mundane.

Saying, "I hope that never happens to me," seems really shallow here. Somehow even without a pillar of fire, flocks of quail, or a stream from a rock, I need to see God guiding me and yet never get too comfortable or complacent with His presence. That's hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment