Monday, February 16, 2009

February 16th: Exodus 27, Psalm 81-82 and Mark 12

Even before the law is completely laid out, there have been a lot of animal sacrifices in the first book and a half of the OT.

So many, that I find myself thinking of them as the norm. Easy. I skim over it. "Abraham built an alter and sacrificed a cow... OK. Neat." But Exodus 27 brings the reality to light. There are shovels, rakes, canisters for ash, grates. Sacrifices were processes. This wasn't just "throw a steak on the grill and over cook." This took time. This was a chore. Burn it till it's gone.

Sin can come easy but the payment took time, money (cows ain't cheap) and effort. I wonder how much I take Jesus sacrifice for granted.

1 comment:

  1. I think I should tattoo that last sentence onto my arm. "i wonder how much i take jesus sacrifice for granted"

    ReplyDelete