Saturday, February 21, 2009

February 21th: Exodus 33-34, Psalm 90-91 and 1 Corinthians 3

Yesterday, I was overwhelmed.

I don't think that sentence can actually be true if today, I am in fact no longer overwhelmed. I would not say that I am a master of many things. Fact is, I'm "OK" at a few things. But there is one thing that I am REALLY good at. I freaking rock at wallowing in self pity. I could host a conference on it and be the key-note speaker. I'm the Cobra Commander of whoa-is-me (no idea what that means--but two points for working CC into this post).

I imagine that our boy Moses could have gotten a little overwhelmed with being "the Dude" in Israel. But I'm struck by this poem he wrote that has become known as Psalm 90. There is a line that says, "teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom." It's so easy for me to see a day as leading to something else. So many times, I see one day as a corridor to something else instead of the blessing that it is. "It's X number of days till Y." "Just get through today then we'll go _____."

But this day, this process, this foundation for the next is important. It's one of only so few that I'm allotted. How that really helps to eliminate stress... I'm not totally sure. Other than, it's like opening a dozen eggs. There are a bunch of them till... you go to make a your 4th 3 egg omelet. At that point, there doesn't seem to be as many as at first.

But verse 17 of that same poem helps a little. It says: "Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands!" Nothing that I do is going to fail or be successful without God somehow being involved. That's kinda cool. A big meeting. I can prepare all I want. I can get stressed. I can get overwhelmed. But I'm only going to be as good or bad as God has prescribed.

I need to pray more.

No comments:

Post a Comment