Friday, February 13, 2009

February 13th: Exodus 23, Psalm 77 and Mark 9

I read Exodus 23:3 a couple times before I got it. Take a look, it says: "nor shall you be partial to a poor man in his lawsuit." Interesting, normally I would think that it would say don't favor the "rich guy."

All through life, I think it's been easier to side with the rich kids, the popular kids, the kids I wanted to be like. But there is a lot of wisdom in this command. As I've grown and struck out into this crazy world, it's become easier to root for the underdog. I really want to see the Cinderella story, the David and Goliath story take place in or around my own life. I want things like Fight Club and more Oscars for indies. Big is bad. Down with the establishment! Down with corporate coffee!

But here, God clearly lays out His plan. He has blessed the rich and brought them to power and influence. Who are we to lie and cheat in order to promote the poor and tear down someone else's work. Sure if the tabkes turn fairly... Great! But if not, don't think power equals corruption. Post-Ramones and post-Nirvana, this is hard to actually do. Weird.

1 comment:

  1. Sort of like when a bunch of lawsuits against Youtube were filed after, and only after, Google owned it. We don't desire what's right or real justice, we desire easy gain and want to get rich quick.

    ReplyDelete