Saturday, January 17, 2009

January 17th: Genesis 30, Psalm 34 and Matthew 19

Part of my job requires me to sit in on some Bible studies. Like a lot of them. Like today, I filmed five, thirty minute studies. I’m around the Bible a lot. When I was a little kid, I thought that would be fantastic. I thought it would be awesome to be a monk and raise chickens, not talk, read the Bible and brew beer. OK, so I didn’t think of the beer thing until right now. But really, what kid says, “Hey when I get older I want to be a freaking burlap wearing sandal loving hymn chanting monk.”

That’s it. There is officially a No-Foxfire-policy in my house.

Unfortunately, all this familiarity with the Bible has become more of a problem than a help. I find myself being lackadaisical toward this most dynamic of books. It's become just a text, a tome, a book I was forced to read at the Institute.

So how do you unlearn something? How do you take the familiar and make it new and fresh? How do you grow from twenty-four verses of Genesis 30 about the Jerry Springer-ness of Jacob's family (seriously, that is some messed up stuff). Sure, I know that this is the birth of the twelve tribes of Israel and that's important and all. But what does this teach me about God after I've read it a couple times?

I'd love some insight. Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. i think your doing it with the blog...at least for me...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was hoping for more on Genesis chapter 24. as for the problem, i am a part of it, so no solution here...but when you get it...tell me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that last comment was actually by topher wallace

    ReplyDelete
  4. No kidding. I just read over Genesis 24. Poor handling of that. I must have been tired. God sends an angel ahead to make sure a bride is secured? I bet millions of single people wish He was still in that business.

    ReplyDelete