Monday, January 12, 2009

January 12th: Genesis 22-23, Psalm 26-28 and Matthew 14

I've been doing this for twelve days and I’m only like a fifth of the way through the Psalms. And for those of you that aren’t so good at math that means that I have about …a lot left. Today, when I finished the Genesis portion, I wasn’t actually very excited about reading the Psalms portion. It’s been my least favorite so far. I know, I know, everyone likes the Psalms... we'll even cut it out of the rest of the Bible and put it with the New Testament and create little portable Bibles in bright shiny colors.

But today, I came across something that I hadn't thought of before. David doesn’t ask God to do things based on his own humanly desires and needs. He asks God to do things based on God’s own attributes. In other words, “God, don’t kill me because you’re notoriously loving” or "God, kill those people cause your a good judge of evil." And there is a sense that because David knows the characteristics of God, he can rely on God having his back.

So...how do you get a relationship like this? That, “Hey-buddy-what-do-I-do-right-now” sort of intimacy…where does that come from? I would think that there would be a lot of I’m not worthys, which there are, but there are also a lot of “you ARE gonna do that’s.” Not from God but from David.

Didn’t expect that.

2 comments:

  1. dear God, according to your great love give me a beautiful car and a lot of money by your great grace and your cattle on a thousand hills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. or "God, because you are compassionate and kind, how about some warmer weather"

    ReplyDelete