Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Resolution Project

The Bible in a year.
Seems like every December, I have the same idea. Read through the Bible starting January 1st. But needless to say, I never do it. Ever. I’m like oh and twenty-eight. I’m the Detroit Lions of Bible reading plans. I think the best I ever did was when I was in seventh or eighth grade. Made it all the way through Kings I think. Which is kinda pathetic that the fourteen-year-old-me was actually more disciplined than the almost-thirty-me.

Now, I work for a not-for-profit that’s sole goal is to get people to read the Bible. Which, I do…most days. OK. Some days.

But I want this year to be different. I want to read through this book in a year. But not as someone that went to a Bible college. Not as a so called “mature” Christian. No, I want to try and see it through “new” eyes. I want to absorb it the same way I read Too Late the Phalarope… uh, the first time I read it. I want the stories to feel fresh and new. This will be hard. But I think it will be rewarding.

This blog will be an attempt to document what I see, feel, learn and when I get frustrated. But people say that the Bible is God communicating to us… to me. I want to see how that really works. How is that possible? How does that relationship grow and develop?

And who knows, I might write some funny stuff too.

4 comments:

  1. May I follow along? Im double your age and have the same problem...this is kinda like a personal extended 411 - Im excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jon,
    I'm going to follow your rss feed too. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, um, I came in Kinda late here (finding out about this via a facebook status), but I think you're onto a good idea and it has inspired me to attempt to read Grendel as if for the first time this year.

    ReplyDelete