Thursday, January 1, 2009

January 1st: Genesis 1-2, Psalm 1-2 and Matthew 1-2

It’s funny when you start something like this the initial desires to do it helps you get through the first couple of days, which is nice. But I’m kinda tired and these six chapters are REALLY familiar. And I really should have started before 11:50. Oops. So much for my resolution.

My family read the first few chapters of Matthew every Christmas morning. I think the idea was that for a brief moment before the chaos, we would remember the “meaning of the season.” Which we did, till I was old enough to read, at which point the goal was to read as fast as humanly possible in order to get to the presents.

Bible college brought an emphasis on Evolution vs Creation. Which of course meant practically memorizing Genesis 1-3 in Hebrew. But today I have to remind myself to stop and think. If I never heard, “In the beginning….” What would I think about this? I think I would be curious where it came from. Moses wrote this stuff, that’s what this study Bible tells me. Who told him about it? God?

But I wouldn’t even know who Moses was if I’d never read Genesis. I suppose I would be skeptical.

Day one down. Only have a couple hundred more days. The Bible equals one big book.

No comments:

Post a Comment