Friday, January 2, 2009

January 2nd: Genesis 3-4, Psalm 3-5 and Matthew 3-4

By the way. Reading some plan that Robert Roberts came up with like a hundred years ago. Bob Roberts. I thought people were more creative back then? Maybe just not with the names.

Today in the reading, sin enters creation. Crap. The intimacy of the first chapters of Genesis is now gone. I can imagine after Adam and Eve are kicked out of the garden that they lived on it’s edge. Walking back to the entrance yelling in to the garden. “I’m Sorry!” I wonder how many times Adam went back looked at the garden and cried.

It’s interesting that the fruit tempts Eve because it “was desirable for gaining wisdom.” The temptations that took away my innocence were the same way. Girls. Beer. Curiosity. I wanted “experience.” Wisdom. It’s interesting how much this oldest of temptations still affects people now.

OK. Never thought of this before. Abel. First guy murdered and quite possibly the first person to die. So I wonder if Cain knew what was going to happen? Did he know when he went out into the field that his actions could even kill his brother? I’m not totally sure he did. Obviously, the first family killed animals. Abel offered the fat to God (where did that idea come from anyway?). Cain was obviously frustrated, but how much more tragic would it have been if he was just trying to hurt his brother but not actually trying to kill him. He went too far and his brother starts to bleed…he has no idea how to stop it and boom, first murder. Tragic.

So glad my name isn’t “Seth” or “replacement son because my other son got murdered by my other son.” Seth should’ve had some serious baggage. Seriously.

David. That guy complains… a lot.
But he says this:
Psalm 3:7b
"Strike all my enemies on the jaw;
Break the teeth of the wicked."

I’m gonna start praying this prayer during corporate prayer: “Father God, punch that Osama bin Laden in the face. Amen.”

Some old lady is going to spit out her dentures.

No comments:

Post a Comment