Wednesday, March 11, 2009

March 11th: Leviticus 19, Psalm 119 again and Luke 2

I love that it says that Jesus was "submissive" to his parents. Sure, he was perfect. He didn't sin. But it doesn't say that his parents didn't sin in the way they raised him. I imagine Joseph coming home after a long day of putting up crown molding. Thumbs a little more bruised than normal. Jesus is playing quietly in the door way and Joseph not seeing him, trips over him on his way in. Of course, Joseph drops his thermos and cooler while yelling, "Jesus-son-of-Mary" (But I'm not sure, I wasn't there). Joseph, already annoyed because of the price of acacia wood, grounds Jesus from TV for a month.

Does he argue? Get mad? Make another TV in his room out of dust and a little spittle? No. Jesus, maker of the universe, honors his parents and submits. It's a beautiful picture of the incarnation. And the whole situation flies in the face of every whiny "but-that's-not-fair" that any kid would ever throw out there.

Yeah, I made this whole scenario up. But watching a lot of parents, I don't think I'm that far off.

1 comment:

  1. you should read "the shack." there's this chapter where God is talking about Jesus and how He was fully and completely human, but the only human to be fully and completely in relationship with God. It's fascinating stuff, and right up your alley :-)

    ReplyDelete